October 31, 2022
Adopting New Supply Chain Technology Doesn't Need to Be Stressful
Has the spectre of high costs led you to hold off on adding new technology to your operation?
Are you "haunted" by that time you invested in an expensive solution only to have a lack of employee buy-in?
Do you find the idea of a complicated or setup or disorganized onboarding process the stuff of nightmares?
We understand how frustrating all of these outcomes can be.
We've know that, especially in today's space, many businesses have concerns about costs, employee buy-in, or and whether or not implementation will go smoothly. But don't worry: there are ways to address each one of these key concerns.
Cost-Sensitive? Be Sure to Calculate the Efficiency Gains and Savings
For many businesses, costs can be a significant reason for avoiding upgrading to a new solution. The fear of large up-front expenses or uncertainty about ROI can, understandably, be a reason to stick with tried-and-true pen and paper options or with a legacy system.
However, digitizing your supply chain may come with some start-up costs, over time, you will find savings in a variety of areas.
For example, the Routeique™ Route Optimizer enabled a mid-sized distribution company to achieve:
- a 25% reduction in mileage
- a 25% increase in time savings on deliveries
- savings of over $100 000 over twelve months
- a reduced environmental footprint
Similarly, Logistics Manager notes that one company, which handled 10k orders across three warehouses, was able to "cut some of its prices by up to 45% following a migration from paper-based manual sortation to a cloud-based WMS." Additionally, they saw a 20% reduction in customer queries to their service support team due to an automated 'ready for shipping' notification.
Concerned Your Team Isn't Enthused About a New System? Foster Employee Buy-In Through Communication.
We know that some business owners or managers are concerned about employee buy-in.
However, there are a few easy ways to make sure that you choose a solution that works for your team day-to-day while also helping you meet your broader business goals.
Common reasons why teams don't “buy in” include:
- Not being consulted
- The feeling that the solution does not offer clear benefits or value
- They prefer the existing workflow to the new workflow
If you consult your team during the research phase, many of these issues can be avoided. You will be able to select technology that improves and enhances your team's existing workflows, in addition to adding to visibility and ease of record-keeping.
Additionally, while many supply chain tools offer benefits at the aggregate level, they are extremely beneficial for team members as well, and this can be highlighted.
- Comprehensive metric-tracking makes it easy to reward employees for their performance and ensure their efforts are recognized when they contribute to key milestones.
- Our Inventory Management App works just as quickly as using a pen and paper and adds even more efficiency when you consider the fact that it cuts down on administrative tasks. Our team works closely with partners and routinely tests our app for use in picking and packing situations, to ensure that it mirrors existing workflows and perfectly fits teams' needs.
Don't Want Overly Complex or Disruptive Set-Up Procedures? Opt for a Straightforward System and Onboarding Support.
Another concern about adopting supply chain technology is the idea that implementing can be difficult or challenging, or that you will not receive sufficient customer support.
However, many supply chain solutions are easy to add to your existing tools and straightforward to get started with.
- All of our inventory and delivery management apps can easily be used on any iOS and Android device, and our Digital Control Tower and Yard Management tools can easily be accessed via a desktop browser.
- Our software easily integrates with your existing system, providing you with both convenience and visibility.
Customer support is also a key component of a smooth onboarding and rollout. For example, at Routeique, our dedicated customer service team works with our clients every step of the way. We ensure everything from the initial onboarding process to software updates go smoothly.
- Our team offers an extensive collection of online articles outlining how to use all of our features, step-by-step video tutorials, a live support chat, and more.
- You can always rely on our customized, hands-on support. This is especially true during onboarding and updates.
Unsure Which Measures to Take? De-risk Decision-Making With Technology.
We know that deciding on the right supply chain solution is an important decision with a significant impact on your bottom line. However, if you're not certain of the ROI of the solutions you're considering, it can be difficult to prioritize or make decisions confidently.
That’s why our team conducts an in-depth analysis in order to recommend the right solutions for your needs.
For example, to help our clients determine how to best optimize warehouses, our team carries out manual process mapping, sales and customer analysis, and 3D scale modelling. This analysis and digital twin technology let you compare possible layout and process options before investing time and money in changes.
Analyzing layouts and processes digitally eliminates the need for costly and disruptive in-person pilots. It also ensures that when you opt to make a permanent change to your facility or processes, you have complete confidence in its ROI.
Putting It All Together
Enhancing your supply chain operations through technology doesn't have to be complicated or stressful. The right solution provider can put your supply chain fears to rest by providing options that more than pay for themselves, are easy to implement, and are useful and beneficial for all team members.
Check out the rest of our blogs, or get in touch with one of our team members to learn more.